Saturday, November 11, 2006

We complain too much.

I am a part of a church called Vintage Faith. The name is new, but really, I've been gathering with this group off and on since I was fifteen (when it began as "Graceland".) We are now talking about the common misrepresentations we give to the world as those who claim to follow Christ. It's basically family meeting kinda stuff. After talking with different folks here in Santa Cruz, a consensus has been made: "Christians complain too much." Hmmm. I search myself. Wow, I needed to hear that one.

I have to be honest, I kind of like to bitch. Maybe that's why I have this blog :) Sometimes I need to get things off my chest. (Writing a post is not always the best way to do this and I promptly erase posts that I feel are too negative). But...sometimes I'm going through hard times and I need encouragement from other believers. There is a fine line between needing encouragement and prayer during trials and constantly being stuck with a crappy attitude...The church has gone to two different extremes, the: everything's fine. Jesus is great. (But really, I have some stuff hiding under the surface that I wouldn't like to share. What would you think of me? What kind of Christian leader would I be?) THIS IS NOT OKAY.

The other extreme: Life just sucks. I have been so faithful, why don't I see the fruit? Why am I still in the valley? or Why am I still in the storm? or I just want to get married. then I just want to have kids. eventually, I am sick of getting old...why can't I just die now so I can be with Jesus?

Why don't Christians enjoy life? I am speaking to myself, because too often I slip into whiner mode, while at the same time I sing...and all I have in You, is more than enough.

When we don't read our Bible or spend time with Him, it's so easy to forget His goodness. We focus on what we think we deserve. Bottom line (and don't take this as self-loathing) we deserve to die. We are not entitled to anything...yet He gives. Yet He blesses. He extends His hand to us over and over again...and is there with us in the valley and in the storm and in our lonliness. Sometimes we need to cry out to Him. Sometimes He will put another believer in our life to comfort us through hard times. But other times...we need to take the focus off of ourself. If not, then once we get what it is that we think will satisfy our lives, we want something else. The sense of ENTITLEMENT is quite the American epidemic, isn't it?

I want people to see the beauty of Christ in me...and want that for their own life. I know it comes from a grateful heart.

2 Comments:

Blogger Madie said...

Celeste. sooo good. needed to hear that one. Trying to find that balance is a tough one, but so needed. Thanks for reminding me to enjoy God and enjoy life.

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I SO see the celestial beauty of Christ. (Can i say that?).
You are like a lily, a spanish lily (Do they exist?).
(I'm not making fun, just having some!)
You're right, gratitude is essential to the Presence of God. It's the essence of worship, our purpose. :)
Often, if my head's ever stuck in a cloud of funk-ass, I start thanking God, for flowers, trees, time, yarn, faithfulness, etc. and it usually leaves.... or at least Peace comes.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home